Chair of Trust Board
Alan has been a governor at Rodillian for 16 years, holding the positions of Vice Chair and Chair of the Finance Committee. He is now Chair of the Trust Board.
In his professional career, Alan has worked in the print and paper industry for 38 years, starting as a young assistant after attaining his university degree.
Previously he has held the positions of National Sales Director for 12 years, and Managing Director for six years within a European paper merchant.
His responsibilities over this period included setting and ensuring the achievement of a £24million sales budget. This involved the following skills:
- Negotiation of costs with all major suppliers, including payment terms, rebates, and early settlement discounts, including visiting each supplier across many parts of Europe
- Negotiation of contracts with key customers, which included banks, financial institutions, blue chip national companies and large print groups
- Preparation and analysis of management accounts, showing performance against budget, performance against previous year, and cash flow position
- Analysis of customer accounts for credit worthiness and application for credit insurance.
- Interviewing and employment of staff
- Managed staff reductions and redundancies
- Operations management and supply chain management
Alan has also attended numerous training courses on management style, human resources, finance and credit control, understanding the balance sheet, purchasing and supply chain management, and legal duties of a company director.
Five years ago he was approached by a major European paper manufacturer to set up his own company, and act as the UK agent for them. Alan now runs his own business, looking after a turnover of £26 million and supplying approximately 36,000 tonnes of paper into the UK on their behalf.
Alan has been married to Catherine for 29 years, and has two children who both attended Rodillian before going on to university and making successful careers for themselves. Alan’s interests are in music and sport outside of his work, and he still enjoys performing and playing every week.